WordPress is best CMS but if you don’t perform certain task like regular maintenance of website or don’t use correct themes as per your website subject then your website will get slow down and nobody likes slow websites. Website speed is an important factor from user’s perspective. So webmasters needs to improve WordPress site performance to make sure that site loads at faster rate in Mobile as well as desktop.
Many researches have been conducted over speed of website for example Akamai study says :
Findings indicate 47 percent of consumers expect an eCommerce page to load in two seconds or less; site performance is a key factor in a consumer’s loyalty to an eCommerce site
Even Google published in their blog that website speed will be consider as one of ranking factors while ranking websites . So if your site takes too much time to load, your website ranking will go down and you will lose visitors.
Before we look into how to improve WordPress site performance , you should run speed test on your websites . You can use below resources to run test.
Google PageSpeed Insights :- PageSpeed Insights analyzes the content of a web page, then generates suggestions to make that page faster.
Webpage Test :- Shows a waterfall view of your pages load performance plus an optimization checklist.
In Webmaster Tools, Labs > Site Performance shows the speed of your website as experienced by users around the world as in the chart below.
Pingdom Website Speed Test :- Website Speed Test to help you analyze the load speed of your websites and learn how to make them faster. It lets you identify what about a web page is fast, slow, too big, what best practices you’re not following, and so on. We have tried to make it useful both to experts and novices alike.
Yslow Browser Extension :- A free tool from Yahoo! that suggests ways to improve website speed.
Website Optimization :- Website test calculates page size, composition, and download time. The script calculates the size of individual elements and sums up each type of web page component. Based on these page characteristics the script then offers advice on how to improve page load time. The script incorporates the latest best practices from Website Optimization Secrets, web page size guidelines and trends, and web site optimization techniques into its recommendations.
Let’s Improve WordPress Site Performance
Five Powerful Cache Plugin
Images are vital part of every blog, if you use catchy image for your posts/pages, more likely visitors want to read posts. But when we talk about website performance, size of image matters. If you use high resolution images having size greater than 800X600 px, your website loading time will increase and it has been researched that visitors don’t want to wait more that 3 or 4 seconds to load website. So here are some important plugins which will reduce image size by compression while uploading without degrading the quality of image on website and increase your site performance so that you upset your visitors
Five Powerful Image Compression Plugins
Note : Make sure while before uploading image you should change dimension of image and try to make it less than 800X600px whenever possible . It will help to load page faster.
3. Clean Up Your Website
Every website needs maintenance in order to work efficiently and give better browsing experience to visitors, here are few tips for maintenance of your website .
- Always use updated version of WordPress and plugins, you can use any number of plugins but it’s not good for site optimization. Remove unnecessary plugins and use as much as required for your website.
Note : Find out which plugins are impacting on site loading time by installing P3(Plugin Performance Profiler ) plugin. This plugins helps users to run scan on their own site to identify which plugin are causing the issues. If you don’t know how to use this plugin then Click Here
Also Check out – How to Install Plugin in WordPress.
- Remove spam comments, bots crawls website and posts spammy links to get benefit from SEO that will increase database size and increase loading time of website . If you don’t feel that your website requires comments then disable it otherwise use Akismet plugin to protect website from spams.
- Fix broken links in your website, broken links in your website might take down your page rank. There is plugin called Broken Link Checker which will help you to fix all broken links in your website.
- Remove post drafts, revisions, unapproved comments, trash posts, unused tables, trackback of posts/comments . You can all these tasks by using a single plugin WP-Optimize.
- Backup your database before performing any critical task on database . WP-DB Manager will help you to backup , repair and restore database.
- Secure your WordPress site from Hackers , Malware and Viruses . Use best security plugins by checking out this article 13 best Security Plugin for WordPress.
- Remove unnecessary widgets from home page and do not display full post on home page show excepts from post and don’t show more than 5 or 6 six post on single page .You can use Evermore plugin to show excepts on page .
5. Selection of WordPress Theme
There are several WordPress themes which looks beautiful, but when we talk about speed it’s not just looks that matters but how well this theme has been built or coded that also matters. Lots of unorganized coding and graphics in theme may slow down your website. So keep in mind, whenever you want to choose high functionality themes make sure it is well coded that way it will decrease loading time as well as reduce use of plugins.
If you want to start a website in which only writing involves ,graphics does not play too much roles I would suggest with little bit of customization you can use free WordPress delivered themes like Twenty Fourteen , Twenty Twelve etc , these themes load faster.
Latest posts by Neeraj Kaple (see all)
- Best SEO Forums To Increase Website Traffic : A Complete List - March 20, 2016
- Google Chrome Extensions : List Of Best Chrome Extensions - March 5, 2016
- 17 Powerful SEO Strategies to Implement in 2016 - February 22, 2016